+Are you working in professional development and interested helping teachers become everyday advocates?
If you have 3 hours:
This short workshop, used to help Everyday Advocate facilitate their own workshops, offers teachers a taste of this work, something that might whet their appetites to learn more. Each part will take about one hour.
- Part One: Smart (Slides + Presentation Notes + video)
- Part Two: Safe (Slides + Presentation Notes + Handout + video)
- Part Three: Savvy (Slides + Presentation Notes + video)
If you have 3 days:
Offering a short intense advocacy workshop in the summer can prepare teachers with a thoughtful action plan they can put into practice in the academic year. And if the workshop is followed up with occasional support meetings, teachers can find a community to continue their work.
The Everyday Advocacy site works well as a resource for this kind of workshop. With references to readings, interactive prompts, and examples from other teachers who have done this work, the site provides the perfect backdrop.
Here’s one possible schedule for how the site might work:
What does it mean to tell our stories? Why advocacy?
(Begin and Why Advocacy Matters)
- Finding the important stories of your teaching lives (Core Idea 1: Storytelling as Advocacy and In Practice prompts)
- Searching for underlying values and themes
- Learning how to frame the stories for public consumption, how to cut your issue (Core Idea 2: Identifying and Framing an Issue and In Practice prompts)
- Selecting an issue you want to pursue (Core Idea 3: Taking Action and In Practice prompts)
How do we raise our voices as a community?
(Action Principles Toolkit with prompts)
- Building Awareness
- Finding Allies
- Staying on point
- Thinking long term/Celebrating Short Term
- Discovering Who’s in Charge
- Identifying Tactics
- Researching your issue–time for participants to learn more about their issue and gain confidence in their knowledge
How do we create action plans?
(Action Plan with prompts)
- Creating a plan
- Sharing your plan with others
Share with us how you are using Everyday Advocacy in PD settings